Saturday, November 17, 2012

Spent Grain Cinnamon Apple Muffins

I have been craving baked goods incorporating apples.  This week has been trying for me.  I have tried numerous recipes for various things and I wasn't happy with most of them.  I was determined this morning to bake something that not only tasted good, but also was visually appealing.  I went back to my roots and pulled out my BHG cookbook (11th edition) for inspiration.  I decided upon using a basic muffin recipe and adapt it to what I am craving... apples and spent grain!

So was born the Spent Grain Cinnamon Apple Muffins.


Spent Grain Cinnamon Apple Muffins (yields 12)
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. spent grain flour
1/3 c. white sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp.  salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced

Preheat oven to 400F.  Line 12 muffin cups with paper cups.  I like to spray just a tad of non-stick spray to ensure easy release from the liners. 

In a medium bowl, stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon*.  Make a well in the center of the dry mixture.  *feel free to adjust the cinnamon to a level of your liking.  I think perhaps this could be increased to a full teaspoon.


In another bowl, mix beaten egg, milk and oil - for the oil, I used a vegetable & canola mix.  Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until moistened.  Note, the batter will be lumpy.  Fold in the apples.


Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. 

Bake for 18-20 minutes in a 400F oven till golden brown.  Cool on wire rack for a few minutes.

I am sure that they would be perfect just like this, but one of my earlier failed recipe attempts left me with a glaze.  So I decided to glaze the top of the muffins and sprinkle with a little bit of ground cinnamon.

Glaze
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 tbsp. half & half

Mix all the ingredients above till smooth.

After the muffins have cooled, but are still a little warm, spread some glaze onto the tops of each of the muffins.

Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment