Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chocolate Spent Grain Waffles



I have been making my kiddo chocolate waffles for years.  The other day I decided to incorporate some spent grain into the mix.  The recipe that I follow stems from this chocolate waffles recipe

Chocolate Spent Grain Waffles (yields 10 waffles)
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. spent grain flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. white sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 c. milk
2 eggs
4 tbsp. butter, melted

Heat your griddle while you make the batter.

Mix your dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Add your wet ingredients and mix until just combined.

Use cooking spray or brush melted butter over the preheated griddle before adding batter.  Do this each time.

Place about 1/4 cup of batter per waffle onto the griddle.  Close lid.  My griddle has a little light that comes on when its done, but I prefer to wait till I see the steam subside.  Usually about 3 minutes.

I like to serve my waffles with peanut butter and syrup. 

Funny side note:  When I made these, I hadn't yet had my fill of coffee and forgot to add the sugar.  My daughter was already eating hers and didn't skip a beat.  I asked if she liked them, she nodded and said they were good - just like they always are.  So... not only did I sub some of the flour for spent grain flour, but I omitted the sugar in the batter.  Kid tested and approved for a healthier version!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment