Saturday, January 5, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ale



First of all... let me disclose that I do not know the science and all that mumbo jumbo behind brewing, so please do hate on me for it. I just enjoy brewing and drinking good beer.

With the holiday season having just passed, I have been doing a LOT of baking. I couldn't help but have cookies on the mind when I was trying to figure out what my next brew should be. I came across a few recipes dealing with oatmeal & raisins and oatmeal cookies. So I decided to brew an oatmeal raisin cookie ale. Plus my hubby's favorite treat is an oatmeal raisin cookie.

I must admit, after the fermentation and carbonation was complete, I was a little disappointed in the flavor.  I mean, it was a good beer, but it wasn't the flavor profile that I wanted for an 'oatmeal raisin cookie' concept.  I will try again.  Perhaps next time I will use some molasses and more spices to give it a hint of that cookie flavor.



Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ale (yields 5 gallons) 
1.5 lbs Victory malt
1 lbs flaked oats
1 lbs crystal-60
0.5 lbs Carapils
6.6 lbs amber LME
12 oz. brown sugar
8 oz. milk sugar
2 oz. Northern Brewer
0.5 c. raisins, rum soaked
1 cinamon stick
1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. Irish moss
British ale yeast (WLP 005)

Mash grains for 90 minutes at 150F.  Sparge into boil pot. 

Bring to boil.  Remove from heat and add amber LME and stir till well mixed.  Mix in brown sugar, milk sugar, raisins/rum, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Return to boil.

Add 1 oz of Northern Brewer.  Boil for 40 minutes.

Add 1 oz of Norhern Brewer.  Boil for 5 minutes.

Add Irish moss.  Boil for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Let cool 15-20 minutes.

Strain wort into fermenter.  Add cold water to bring total volume to just over 5 gallons.  When wort temp reaches 70F or lower, pitch yeast.

OG:  1.058
FG:  1.020



No comments:

Post a Comment