Sunday, November 4, 2012

Spent Grain Pumpkin Muffins


Halloween has just passed and last week I took our pie pumpkins that we had painted and made some pumpkin puree.  The last few days, I have been debating on what I was going to make with the pumpkin puree.  I've decided this morning that I was going to make some pumpkin muffins.  I found a pumpkin muffins with streusel topping recipe that sounded pretty good for a guide.  One of the ingredients that is listed in the original recipe is applesauce.  I do not have any applesauce on hand, but I do have an apple that I can use. 

So to begin with, I need to make the applesauce.  I took a Gala apple, cored it and cut it up into chunks ( I left the skin on).  I put the apple chunks into a small sauce pan and added just enough water to cover the apples by 1/2" to 1".  I also added a dallop of homemade applebutter that my mother-in-law gave us last year and part of a cinnamon stick and a single clove (it is only one apple afterall)! 


Heat the apples to boiling and let simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the apples are soft and the liquid has reduced by two-thirds.  By the way... this makes the house smell delicious!

 
 
After the apples have cooled, take out and discard the cinnamon stick and clove.  Pour the apples and liquid into a food processor and pulse till it is applesauce consistancy.
 

 
This yields approximately 1 cup.  Good thing I only need 1/2 cup for the recipe.
 
 
 
Applesauce (Yields approx 1 cup):
1 Gala apple, cored and chopped into 1/2" cubes
1/4 cinnamon stick
1 clove
2 tbsp of applebutter
water
 
 
Okay... now I can get back to the pumpkin muffins.  Here's the link to the original recipe.  Remember, my goal is to incorporate spent grain into normal recipes with a few tweaks here and there and hope for the best!
 
Pumpkin Muffins (Yields 20 muffins):
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. spent grain flour
1/2 c. oats
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger (using freshly grated)
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmug (using freshly grated)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2/3 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. applesauce
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
 
Streusel Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp softened butter
2 tbsp oats
1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp spent grain flour
 
To make spent grain flour, just dry out your grains in your oven on low heat (200F) till all the moisture in the grains are gone (this takes a few hours and typically should be done on your brew day).  This is now your dried spent grain.  To turn the dried spent grain into flour, just put the dried grain into a food processor or a coffee grinder... pulse till you get something that is similar to the consistancy of flour.  I will go into more detail about drying spent grain on my next brew day. 
 
It takes approximately 1 to 1 1/2 cups of dried spent grain to get 1/2 cup of spent grain flour. 
 
Alright, lets get started.  Preheat your oven to 350F.  Line muffin pan with liners.
 
In a medium-sized bowl, combine your dry ingredients except for the sugars.
 
 
In a large bowl or in your stand-mixer bowl, combine your wet ingredients plus the brown and white sugars. 
 
 
 
Gradually add your dry ingredients with the mixer on low speed until all is thoroughly combined.  Scrape sides of bowl if necessary.
 
 
 
Mix steusel topping ingredients together in a small bowl.  Note:  use softened butter, not melted.  I don't know why I melted mine, but it turned into a paste rather than a crumbly streusel.  Oh well.  I'm sure it will taste great.
 
 
 
Evenly distribute batter into prepared muffin tins and top with streusel. 
 
 
 
Bake 12 minutes and rotate pans.  Bake for an additional 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick insterted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
 
 
 
Enjoy!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment